Tuesday, April 30, 2013

In which I debut a new dress: cherry cute!

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a vintage dress pattern and a three of meters of cherry-printed cotton broadcloth and got to work making this fun 1957 day dress on my new sewing machine. Bolstered by back-to-back episodes of The Great British Sewing Bee, I hemmed and fitted and pinned until I got it all done. It took forever to finish, mostly because I was doing all my sewing during naptime, and let me tell you, a full circle skirt is no picnic to hem. But I like it! It's the perfect length and I could tailor it exactly to my measurements, but it's a teensy bit difficult to walk in (the front of the wrap dress bunches a bit around the knees), so I can only assume people in the 1950's walked differently. However, I'm looking forward to wearing it a lot over the summer, and  I'm very excited to get to work on my next vintage sewing project: a full-skirted floral party dress. Anyone interested in having a summer party? I'll be there with bells on!

The cherry trend seems to be a big one for summer, so in case you are not in the mood to complete your own insane dressmaking project and run up a cherry-print frock, here are a couple of fun options in the shops now:

No comments:

You may also be interested in...

Related Posts with Thumbnails