Monday, June 30, 2014

How to Be: Give Yourself Mondays Off


As everyone knows I'm a big fan of Apartment Therapy Family, which has a never-ending stream of cool ideas, stylish finds, and fun activities for growing families. If you haven't been there yet, go check it out, now.

Anyway, I was really interested in a discussion on the site a couple of days ago about how to give yourself a break in the morning (at my house, the single most stressful time of the day), but especially inspired by one of the posts in the discussion about a way to manage your time better by making Monday a day to look forward to instead of a day to dread.

There is nothing good about Monday, but I love the idea of making it a relaxed transition day into a hectic week with a little bit of clever planning. If you stay at home, make it a day for fun instead of a day of chores: wear loungewear all day, go to bed early, watch home design shows in the afternoon, go crazy. If you're working, read a novel on your commute instead of doing work, schedule meetings you look forward to instead of ones you know will be a struggle, do delightful work you know will nourish you and save the heavy stuff for later, and plan to meet a friend for a joyful lunch. I especially liked the suggestion of making the evening routine more relaxed by always having the same dinner on Monday: a slow-cooker pasta dish that the whole family enjoys eating and that requires virtually no prep time at the end of a long day.

Because my day today began with a 4am alarm clock and a very stressful commute to do work in a country where I do not speak the language, I can assure you that after today, I'm planning to take my Mondays off.


No comments:

You may also be interested in...

Related Posts with Thumbnails