Tuesday, August 16, 2011

DIY Paper Butterfly Chandelier

Sorry for not posting this earlier..... This sweet little butterfly mobile I made for Her Ladyship has actually been hanging up over her princess bed for weeks. Weeks! And yet I have not posted a photo of it's crazy cuteness, or any stories of how it came about.

Okay, so here's the story of the butterfly chandelier. When shopping with Susan I spotted this beauty hanging in the window of the Pottery Barn Kids store in Oak Brook:

Pottery Barn butterfly chandelier: Out of Stock!

I knew instantly that Isabelle would love this cheeky little number hanging in her bedroom, but the 24" diameter of the ring and the $90 (yes, $90) price tag, on top of the fact that the only one they had left in the shop was the floor model, had us hot-footing it to the door. I mean, cute, yes. Clever, yes. But $90 for a paper mobile is madness. Especially because the PB butterflies were clearly cut out with a Martha Stewart craft punch from Michael's. But using only a tiny bit of brainpower, a couple of sheets of paper, some seed beads, about a mile of monofilament and a whole lot of patience,  I was able to knock the whole thing up for about $30 total, over the course of 4 post-bedtime episodes of Downton Abbey.

Okay, I'll admit, halfway through this project I was thinking that $90 probably would have been worth it, but I'm glad I persevered, because it looks soooooooooooo sweet in Isabelle's butterfly princess bedroom. And if you like it, I just might make one for you too!


No comments:

You may also be interested in...

Related Posts with Thumbnails