Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Mondays: Let's Move

Source: via Barbara on Pinterest

I love the couch. Oh how I love the couch! I like to sit and read my favorite books, I like to curl up and watch black-and-white-movies, it is the best place for drinking coffee and staring out the window at the clouds. La la la! I love my couch!

But as great as my couch is, I know that in order to build up more energy for all the things I love to do/want to do/haven't got around to doing yet, I need to escape from it and get a move on. Ugh. How I hate to move. Hate it hate it hate it. But I'm committed: in week two of Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Challenge, she encourages building on the gains we made by getting more sleep and get more exercise.

I know that physical activity is a big part of a healthy lifestyle. I know. But I do hate exercising. IT'S JUST SO BORING. So I need to make small changes that I will be able to stick with. Like walking to the post office. Maybe I should embrace my car-driving-embargo as an opportunity and cycle more (I biked to church yesterday, and it was hilariously fun!). According to Michelle Obama's Let's Move campaign:
Adults over 18: need to be active 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week, for 6 out of 8 weeks. As an alternative, you can count your daily activity steps using a pedometer (goal: 8,500).
 So that means my walk to and from Isabelle's school is only a tiny part of what I need to be doing! Arrgh! Here's my off-the-top-of-my-head list of things that sound like fun and might also be lifelong habits I'll stick with:

  • Walk to the library
  • Go on a nature hike
  • Cycle to the grocery store
  • Learn to hula hoop
  • Jump rope
  • Play hopscotch with Isabelle
  • Make short trips by bike rather than car
  • Walk to the coffee shop
And just maybe this will be the excuse I need to buy new gym shoes. Which will definitely make me happy. Hooray!
  • Dig in the garden

No comments:

You may also be interested in...

Related Posts with Thumbnails