Monday, September 13, 2010

Keep your fork, there's pie

I had a really vivid dream last night that I owned a bakery specializing in desserts. Specifically pie. Fruit pies, cream pies, nut pies, you name it we made it at my dream bakery. Seems we also had a cool shop with amazing decor and people loved hanging out there. I don't know. It was a dream.

But I digress. I read about a real-life bakery in Brooklyn owned by sisters Melissa and Emily Elsen called Four and Twenty Blackbirds that sounds a lot like my dream bakery in the October issue of Martha Stewart Living. And I got to thinking, yep, maybe it's time pie made a comeback. Not that it ever went away, but what with it being one of Weight Watchers blacklisted foods (one slice of a double-crust pie is 3/4 of your total daily allowance), and the terrible debate over shortening vs. butter vs. lard in the crust, who can be bothered? But looking at the pie menu at Four and Twenty Blackbirds got me thinking, what a great platform for creative baking! Maybe chocolate goo is so-last-season and cupcakes are like that fringed lampshade you bought and got sick of within a month. A seasonal fruit pie strikes me as somehow new and fresh and interesting. And doesn't salted caramel apple sound like it would hit the spot on a crisp fall day? Come on everyone, let's have pie!

(image from marthastewart.com)

No comments:

You may also be interested in...

Related Posts with Thumbnails